Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Way back when...

The day he came home with us - 13 days old

 Lately I have been thinking a lot about S when he was a baby. I don't know why - maybe it is because he is getting so big and independent. I remember exactly what I was doing, at work, when we got the call from our social worker. Packing up my stuff at work that night...trying to tie up loose ends while trying to wrap my mind around the fact that Kevin and I would have a baby at home that next day. I remember going to the hospital, the next morning, meeting with a social worker and then meeting S, in NICU, for the first time. So tiny in the little baby basinet - all bundled up and sleeping. They had us feed him before we left the hospital - and the nurses were so helpful and understanding. I was so flustered I couldn't figure out how to adjust the car seat straps - which we had practiced. No amount of practice can prepare you for the journey we have been on with him. I remember sitting in the back seat of our car with him - I felt like we were stealing him. It all just happened so quickly - but really, took so very long. Recently, I was going through some things in  his room and found a journal of sorts that we kept when we brought him home. Feeding times, how long he slept/was awake, how he was feeling, how his diapers were...there were so many things for us to keep track of. Not just normal baby stuff - we had to kinda keep an eye on him for other things, too. But, since he was our first, we had NO idea what "normal" even was...

He woke up in the middle of the night last week - had a bad dream or something. So I got up and changed his diaper, put cozy jammies on him and we snuggled in the rocking chair in his room. That doesn't happen much anymore. I love that he sleeps so well - but I really miss the snuggle time I used to get. All. the. time. And now, if he gets up at night, he really doesn't want to snuggle. It is more like "I want to talk about everything I see in my room and whatever I did today." That night he just wanted his lovey (clothe diaper), bear, and mama. And we snuggled. Even better - he fell asleep in my arms. I almost just stayed in there, but I knew that he would sleep better in his crib. So I put the little big boy to bed.

At Cramer's Pumpkin Patch - on horse wagon with Papa
He is just growing up so quickly. He is carrying on conversations with us now and really understanding  concepts. How did that happen? I can tell that he thinks about things now. Yes, he is a toddler and changes his mind a million times a day, but he "gets" stuff now. His latest is teasing. He loves to tease mama and papa. It is hilarious. And the more we laugh, the more he does it...and we laugh a lot. :)

Watching Papa work in yard
He is now spending some time with his siblings every week. It is great - we are happy about that change. Hard on his schedule, but it is only a few hours and he seems to adjust ok. He loves it - most of the time. He is picked up by a transporter (who observes the visit) and he doesn't like leaving mama. He wants me to come - and that makes it really hard on mama. (Imagine that??) Just another adjustment, but a good one. Nothing else to really report. We still delight in every day we have with him and pray we have many, many more. We have had a great Fall. If you don't live in the PNW, the weather was amazing up until a couple weeks ago. Warm days, cool nights and NO RAIN for months. Our Fall has arrived (which makes me happy!!) and it has been cold and a bit rainy, but we have found lots of fun things to do. Visits to Apple Orchards, Pumpkin Patches, horse rides, train rides, and lots of playing outside. Love it! Looking forward to a season on hope as we approach the holidays.

At Bellewood Acres





No comments:

Post a Comment